Are you familiar with the importance of your temporomandibular joints? Temporomandibular joints, also referred to as your TMJs, are joints and jaw muscles located in your mouth that assist with several functions of your smile, which can include moving your jaw at all the angles that it does and opening and closing your mouth as needed. However, TMJ disorders can arise from time to time, in which case they will need to be treated so your smile does not continue to suffer. Common information regarding TMJ is as follows:
Causes of TMJ disorders:
– Arthritis and issues associated with dislocations in your mouth can lead to TMJ disorders.
– Teeth grinding, also known as bruxism, is a known TMJ disorder cause.
– Misalignments with your teeth and jaw can cause TMJ disorders to arise.
– Bad habits including continually chewing on rough foods and biting into your nails can increase your risk for a TMJ disorder.
Common treatments for TMJ disorders:
– If you are in need of a professional oral appliance to help treat a TMJ disorder, visit our oral and maxillofacial surgeon for a night guard or a bite plate.
– Exercises to help strengthen your jaw as well as meditation techniques including yoga and biofeedback can help alleviate jaw pressure and strengthen your jaw.
– TMJ disorder symptoms can often be alleviated through the use of heat and ice packs. It may also help to eat softer foods and avoid extremely tough or chewy snacks.
A TMJ disorder can be treated with the help of our team of experts at Aspire Surgical. If you need oral and maxillofacial surgeon in Lehi, Utah, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Ryser and Dr. Shamo at our dental office, by calling us at 801-768-1155.